Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Inspiration

Isn't it great when you re-discover something you already have? I was inspired by Rhoda over at Southern Hospitality. In viewing pictures of her home I notice an old singer sewing machine which she used as a bedside table. I was reminded that my great grandmother's sewing machine was stuffed in my closet taking up valuable real estate. I pulled it out....someone painted the top of it white and I really did not want to strip it or sand it. So I kept looking at it. That's what I do when I am trying to figure out what I can do with a piece. I stare at it....walk away. I go back and stare it some more until I am inspired. I decided I would use the magic burlap. I first thought about just draping if over like a table runner but tha didn't work. So I came up with tucking the burlap around the edge of the painted top to cover it. I first tried upholstry tacks but that did not work so I used velcro which worked great. It is not permanent so I can pull it off if I want to do something different. I decided to place it in front of the mantle in my bedroom to create sort of layers and it worked. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment