Sunday, March 6, 2011

INSPIRATION!

I think I have had my first moment of original creation.  As I was viewing the linky parties on Saturday looking all everyone's inspirations for some reason I thought of wreaths and I thought what can I do new with a wreath.  What are others doing with wreaths?  Well I didn't find anything.  Now we all remember the dried flower wreaths or at least those who are a little older.  They were so beautiful but they did not hold up over time....they were great dust catchers.  Now my favorite are grape wreaths and I think they epitomize the shabby chic or flea market style.  And so my mind began reeling now I don't know about you guys but things are a bit tight in todays economy so my inspiration is to use something I have here without having to go out and buy something new.  Here are some of the things I found lying around.





  I have 2 sons who are now 25 and 21 and I was a single parent from the time my oldest was 4 so for many years there was little money to purchase expensive or large pieces of furniture or decorative items so I have always been a thrifty shopper but as a result I also bought many small items because they were inexpensive and easy to manage so as result I have ended up at times with too many smalls.  I often did not have room to put them all out.  I also always picked up odd pieces from family that I was challenged to find something unique to do with it. 

So back to my inspiration I took the 5 grapevine wreaths I had out of the closet and grabbed my wreath hanger off the front door.  I hung it on my old doors from my great great grandparents home and hung the grapevine wreath on it and I began to look around and think about some of the inspirations I have seen in all your blogs. 


I thought about Donna at Funky Junk's great organizer with the bed springs and the dresser with the iron bed piece.  I thought about the texture of burlap, chippy wood, rust, glass,  and tin.  I recently think I mentioned going to an estate sale and the person was an artist so I picked up a few frames that I thought I would hang empty because I love that look. Some are gold with chippy paint others white with text or creamy ivory.  I have had some of them hanging in my bedroom.  As I am looking around the room I see the really nice birdhouse I bought a month or so ago at a thrift store for $6 which I first painted a robins egg blue but it was a bit too bright so I re-painted it white.  so I thought what about the birdhouse on top of the wreath and well you can see for your self.

Nice huh?  It needs something else perhaps a little green moss in the birdcage.  So then I see it what about another layer one of the frames on top of this.  I swear I heard angels sing.  What do you think?





Well I realized this was my niche I have been looking for so long for.  I take another wreath and I think what can I put with this to somewhat match up with the other one.  I continued to cruise around the house looking for something I could put on this wreath.  The texture of the brown vine needs something white so I find this tin angel wing I found last year at Hobby Lobby. 




Okay the scale is good but what else? What if I take the wreath and put it on top of a white frame so you have the white, grapevine texture, and white tin.  Sweet!  Maybe just one other thing.....this angel I attached to the frame with a little velcro.





And then maybe a few chandelier crystals and well I think I am going to hang it on top of the white door I was making a corkboard well because I have another board idea. 




What do you think?

For the next one I am thinking about these items a couple of small bird pictures framed, perhaps this old picture frame,



What about this?


Or these?

A bit of old wood, a foot from a clawfoot tub, a bird picture.


Or maybe...
Please please leave some comments or share your inspirational thoughts.  2 heads are always better than one when it comes to inspiration.


Here is a teaser I am working on a picture frame inspired organizer on the lines of Funky Junk's inspirational piece.   Here is a picture.....
Coming up....my garden, my home, and windows. 

Benita

I am sharing this over at...

31 comments:

  1. These are AWESOME! I've been itching to try a new wreath and you've given me some great inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My. This is a really neat take on weath making. Truly unique. Some pieces appeal to me more than ohtersm, but that's neither here nor there--you really have a great eye for combing scale and texture! What a great art-form.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very clever and creative! I like how you took us through your thought process for each piece! Like we were there creating right along side of you! I've enjoyed my visit here today via Met Monday! Have a wonderful week!
    Best Wishes and Blessings,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind comment, I wanted to go to your blog, but I am unable to get there. Usually when someone leaves a comment I can push on the name on the comment and get to their blog. I found you through google. As I look at your name, butterflies & amp:Seashells it does not look right. The best way to get to the bottom of this is go to my blog and press on your comment and you will see it goes no where. Good luck, let me know if I can help

    Carol
    On Mar 7, 2011, at 10:13 AM, Butterflies & Seashells wrote:

    Butterflies & Seashells has left a new comment on your post "How to turn a gun rack into a plate rack":

    Great original idea. I see those all the time so I will definitely think I will think outside the box next time I see one. Great job.



    Posted by Butterflies & Seashells to The Polka Dot Closet at March 7, 2011 2:34 AM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very unique idea! I love the old frame as part of the wreath! The birdhouse one is FABULOUS- honestly, they all are- that one if my fav!
    I followed your link from Coastal Charm, stop by and see me at cookscleansplayswithpaper.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. They all look great to me. But the HOPE one really stands out to me and sends a great message. Thanks for sharing, Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love love love the wreaths! esp the angel wing collage... so creative! Glad I spotted your post over at Coastal Charm's party.

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow-how creative! really like the birdcage one!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those are so great, wonderful ideas. I'm a new follower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea! Love the old door for the backdrop, super cute!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I LOVE this! Its FAB!!! Come on 'ova and share this at my Linky Par-Tay!

    *ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *

    xoxokara

    ReplyDelete
  12. The wreaths are beautiful! I found your blog at Between Naps on the Front Porch. You have such great ideas and I'm your newest follower! I'd love it if you'd follow me back: http://stillwaterstory.blogspot.com/
    Again, you did a fantastic job with this!! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, dear, but don't you have the coolest things to play around with!?
    I love the wing and angel together, but then again, I am partial to wings since I love birds so very much.
    What beautiful ideas you have!
    I am a new follower, too!
    I like your style!
    HUGS,
    ~me
    (I think I found your place at The Shabby Chic Cottage party).

    ReplyDelete
  14. who knew? i love the idea of the frame with the wreath and then old chippy stuff on it!! way to go!
    xo
    lynn

    ReplyDelete
  15. They are all so fantastic, love how you have combined the birdcage, frame and wreath!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi there! Every single thing was just lovely and you can really tell that you enjoy the creative process just as much as the beautiful results.
    That 'ah ha" moment is a priceless one and you definitely had several of those with your wreath arrangements! Thank you so much for coming over to the Inspiration Friday party this week!
    Vanessa

    ReplyDelete
  17. What beautiful pieces! Very creative of you!! Stopping by from At the Picket Fence~ nice to meet you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Bernita and I say WHY NOT -- so inspiring and creative; you are a little bit of heaven right here on earth taking neglected objects and gluing them together to create art -- arranging your creativity is uniquely yours; so we'll all be copycats. Blessings Terri www.morningdewdrops.typepad.com

    ReplyDelete
  19. Artfully combined
    you do have an eye for arrangements, thanks for sharing the creative inspiration

    ReplyDelete
  20. Benita,
    These are really fantastic. I love how you mixed the elements and got these new looks. Very nice creative expression. I love the angel one very much. Thanks for linking up. Would you please put a link to the Home Sweet Home Party in your post. Thanks again!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  21. My favorite one is the one with the wing! Isn't it fun to brainstorm and create? I think some of my best and most creative project have come when the budget is tightest. Nice work!! Thanks for sharing this at Transformations and Treasures! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ok that's it you need to open up a store front and sell your items! All too pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  23. these are certainly new to me! I've not seen any wreaths with quite the junky take on them! So cool!
    I like the "hope" wreath with the wood trim?
    and I like the bird house wreath at the top too!

    So clever. I'm off to read more of your blog.

    blessings~
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love all of your wreaths but I think my favorite is the one with the angel wing. Bet I have a new wreath on my door this spring thanks to the inspiration you have given me.
    Stop by my blog if you get a moment. I reuse/recycle myself and find it so much more fulfilling than to just 'buy' something.
    marianna
    www.vintagearabesque.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. I think all of these are great! Thanks for the inspiration for something new. I'm thinking of this outside on the cottage or shed with some old rusty parts! I'm a new follower of yours and I hope you'll visit me too @ Southern Comforts. Have a blessed day.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Thank you for linking up this great post last week! {Im a lil behind, eeekk!}

    Its party time AGAIN!!! xoxokara



    *ENTER LINKY PAR-TAY Here! *


    This is one of my FAVORITE posts of ANYONE of ALL TIME!!!
    In LUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURVE!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Awesome idea - I never would have thought to do that! I love your blog and I'm your newest follower. Stop by for a visit sometime if you have a chance.
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  28. Inspiration overload! So creative :) Love them all,

    Jill @ JunkyVagabond

    ReplyDelete