Sunday, March 20, 2011

My Monogram!

Hi everyone!  Thanks for all the love over this weekend and you comments on my recent finds.  I did a project last night that I saw over at Piorra Maison.  My teachers used to write on my report card that I didn't follow directions and I did not here.  I sort of adapted her work.  Go over and check her work out  http://piorramaison.blogspot.com/2011_02_01_archive.html

I don't know about you all but things are tight financially at my house so I didn't have a canvas but I did have these pieces of thin luana. 


I started by using the glaze I used for my half dining room table.  I wanted to use black but I decided I would use what I had and experiment.  I was thinking I would put one of my favorite scriptures such as Psalm 27 or My Beloved is mine and I am His.  I was pressed for time so I started looking at the stencils I had and they were too large to write these out.  I dug out some cardboard type letters or stencils I bought a while back for another project. I then read what it said on the pack which  was monogram and realized this would be perfect.  


These are precut and you just punch them out.  There is one for each letter in the alphabet.  I purchased these at Hobby Lobby.  Now....I cannot draw or paint ....I cannot even cut a straight line.  I decided to use a black Sharpie to out line all the letters on the painted board.  Then I used white to paint the letters.  I don't have the fine motor skills to make it look perfect so I didn't try to make it look perfect because that would help it look older.



I think it had a nice graphic feel but needed to be aged.  So I took a little of the glaze and put it on a paper plate and mixed some of the white craft paint in to lighten up the color.  Then brushed a little on and then took a dry brush and spread it and lifted some off.

And tada!


Ready for hanging...let me know what you think!

24 comments:

  1. It's really cute!! Good job.

    I'm dropping by from Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage.

    Hope you have a lovely week :O)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I'm addicted to monograms and "B" is our initial too! ;)

    Thanks for sharing your creativity in the DIY Project Parade!

    Happy Spring!
    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  3. <3 ! You'll have to come over Wednesday and share this on my WhateverWednesday linkie!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this idea!!! I think I may have to make something similar for my Master bedroom but my initial is a "P"!

    johnnyinadress@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice!! (I never follow directions either!)
    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this. Look for me to copy it at preppygirlonthefarm.blogspot.com.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a clever idea. It came out really amazing. I am your latest follower. I would love for you to come and check out my blog and follow me back at www.diybydesign.blogspot.com. Thanks so much. Also, I host a link party each Wednesday. Hope you join in.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I LOVE monograms! This project is AWESOME! Blessings <3 Paula

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOVE this idea is looks like something you would see in PB or Ballard magazines!! Great job!! Martina

    ReplyDelete
  10. It looks fabulous! I love the aging - good call.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I like everything about it. It couldn't look any better.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fantastic and creative - love what you've done! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great :) Laurel@chippingwithcharm

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think It looks awesome!! I want one!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hey! Good job! Found you over at a beach cottage, so I can't wait to look around!

    Ohhh i wish we had hobby lobby here: i hear all you gals talk about it and it seems like a place I could just spend hours in :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love this! I'm a new follower from the blog party. Would love a visit and follow back if you like...

    http://www.imnotatrophywife.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. wonderfully creative!

    blessings
    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  18. I am glad I inspired someone today. thanks for popping by and linking up.

    Au Revoir
    Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fantastic!! turned out lovely, i too love monograms.
    hugs
    janet

    ReplyDelete
  20. I like this idea. It carries out a thought I had about how Jordan, the Spring part of our blog, could spiff up her recently redone bar. She wrote a post about it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is really neat! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the aged look. It turned out great
    Please link it up at my link party later tonight.
    Amy
    @ SistersoftheWildWest.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. This looks great! i love the distressed look. I'd love for you to link these up a Sundae Scoop.

    ReplyDelete
  24. What an amazing idea for a monogram! I love it!
    I featured this on my blog today! You can check out the post here:
    http://justbeckause.blogspot.com/2011/03/blog-head-monday-5.html

    <3Becky
    justbeckause.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete