Friday, March 18, 2011

Thifting Thursday!

I found some great items this week when I went "junking".  I went on Thursday this well because one I needed a break.  I work as an online teacher and I had a ton of items to grade this week which means hours of sitting still in front of the computer.  It is spring and all I really want to do is work in the garden.  I hope to do that on Saturday and will hopefully have some pictures to share with you of that next week.

I have been cruising Craigslist alot this week looking for free jewels. Unfortunately the only find has been pallets.  I got these yesterday while I was out....a truck load and there was enough for another truck load.  I am thinking of creating a little potting room of sorts.  I am forming an idea in my head.  Watch out!  Here is a picture of the pallets.



The sink I purchased during my last visit to my Mom's.  I have been wanting one of these for awhile.  It is a castiron enamel sink.  My GreatGrandmother had sink just like this in her house.  I love the built in drain area for draining the dishes long before dishwashers.  Their house was built in the early 1900s and I have great memories of it as a child.  I am planning to make a potting bench with the sink.  I have some old 2x4's and some 4X4 posts I want to make a frame for it to sit on.  My son has to help with the cutting an this thing is a beast in term sof its weight!

Look at my pretties for this week!   A great basket, paper mache shells,  and milk glass vase from Habitat Home Store.
Aren't they beautiful?  I love the shape of these.  I wish they had more but I guess I will collect these a few at a time. I saw someone else found some of these recently on one of the many blogs I check out. 

Independence Ironstone.

And this little copper pot is to die for.  I think I will put a little plant in it and use it on the porch.


The scalloped edge and the curvy handle and look at the patina.
This I found at Waterfront Rescue Mission Thrift store along with this Pfaltzgraff....I think it is a sugar bowl and the ironstone. 

Next I went to Goodwill where I haven't had much luck in the past but it was crazy all the stuff I found yesterday.  There was a midcentury table, a 1970s french provincial bedside table that woul have been great painted. A guitar case for $8 and some great decorating books but I could not get it all.  So here is what I chose. 
I think these are called polished aluminum.  They look like polished pewter.  The bowl has some damage inside the bowl but I plan on filling it but the other one is perfect.  It is marked from Mexico an has such pretty handles and then there is the little antique glass candleholder.

I think I did okay.  What do you think? I hope to hear from you soon. 

Benita

I will be sharing this at the following:

Transformation Thursdays
100 Ideas Under $100 at  Beyond the Picket Fence
Sunday Showcase Part at Under the Table and Dreaming
Make it 4 Monday & others

Someone help me figurue out an easier way to add in these links.  I tried pasting and saving the buttons into my OneNOte but I could not get them paste here.  Help!




15 comments:

  1. Great finds...junkin' is so much fun...especially when you score!
    Cheryl at My Sister's Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you hit the jackpot with all these great treasures. Hop over and show them off at my NIFTY THRIFTY TUESDAYS PARTY next week...hope to see ya there:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun thrifting!

    http://jeanneselep.blogspot.com/2011/03/st-pats-day-treasure.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great haul, love that gorgeous ironstone and the basket and copper piece. Glad you joined in for VIF!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great new finds ... love the ironstone! I need to go "junkin" more often. *Becca*

    www.adventuresindecorating1.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. What great finds! You hit the jackpot and I love the ironstone. Isn't thrifting the most fun!
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful finds! I also love that Ironstone! You will find more I'm sure. Thanks for joining JFF. hugs, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  8. You did pretty good! I too love when you find treasures at the thrift stores.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You did a great job...you have some really fun thrifty finds!

    Thanks so much for linking to "20 Below Thursday"!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great finds- love the sink!! Thanks for sharing at Feathered Nest Friday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Benita,

    First what great finds! I love the variety of things you found, all are fabulous!

    Second, thanks for linking up to Inspiration Friday At The Picket Fence.

    Third :), If you will email me I will send you instructions on how to add the link party buttons to your posts. I couldn't find your email address on your blog, but I might have just missed it. email me at atthepicketfence@gmail.com.

    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  12. What great finds! It's amazing what people will donate and God bless them for doing so!

    To add a link in a post:

    1. Open the intended link in another tab or window.

    2.Highlight the URL (web address) and press Control C to copy.

    3. Go back to the post that you are writing and type in the name of the intended link, such as Terrific Tuesdays @ No Name Blog.

    4. Now highlight the part that you want to link as if you were going to copy and paste.

    5. Instead, at the top of where you are posting, you will see the different options for font size, color, adding a picture, etc. There is one option that says link. Click on it.

    6. A new little pop-up window will apear. It will show you the text that you just indicated that you wanted to link. It will also ask to what URL the link should go.

    It automatically defaults to a web address. Leave it that way. Now do Control V and the URL will populate that field.

    7. If you want, you can test the link right there to make sure that it is correct. I do recommend that step!

    8. Click OK.

    Your link should be set up!

    It sounds complicated when you read this, but it really isn't. I'm not a techie at all!

    Please don't hesitate to ask me if you have any questions!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Benita,
    What great finds! Love that copper pot. I also love the idea of turning the old sink into a potting bench. Very nice idea. Would you please put a link back to the Home Sweet Home party in your post. Thanks!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
  14. What great finds... you've really got some great items to work your magic!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great finds, Benita! I have a porcelain-enamel drain-board sink in my little cottage farmhouse, and I love it!

    Thanks for linking to the party. I would love to have you join the fun each week.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage
    http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete