Friday, April 15, 2011

New Finds for this week!

I have been busy, busy, busy this week. I had much work to do that I get paid for and wrapped some classes up so I could get to my fun work.  I have had some very successful purchases but I need your help to bring them to their full potential.   I was cruising craiglist for freebies and good buys and ran across a lady who I recently sold some old wrought iron to whose son is an artist.  He uses old wrought iron and other old items and welds them into lamps, custom made fireplace screens, and other artistic creations.  I say all this to say he is moving his shop and is having a sell Saturday morning that I am going to.  Yeah!  I hope to find some one of a kinds.  I also found a couple of estate and yards sales that seemed interesting. So I got up at 6 this morning to get ready and get there by 7:30 only to find the lady was not there but the 2 men she hired to help her with the sell were there waiting.  She was a dealer with 2 houses full of antiques....stores I did not know about.  She showed up after I called and talked to her husband about 20 minutes later.  Anyway wasn't sure I would be able to get any good buys or not but look what I got!


It is finished and in great shape other than door which I have and can be stuck in there and you cannot tell it is broken off.  Do you see the little strip of blue paint?  Apparently it has been painted at some point. 
It has sweet little drawer pulls.  I think they can be cleaned up a little and will look even better.  I don't need to paint it but.....what do you think?  I could see the top left as is and the rest painted white, distressed and waxed.
I also got this chair which just needs some spray paint or maybe not!  I got both for $45.  I bought the little white lamp for $5.00.  I hope to find a milk glass lamp and I want burlap shades....you will see one shade I picked up for $1 today but then I realized it has no hardware to set it on the lamp. :(  Didn't think that through.

I also hit the jackpot on some pictures for my booth and an odd piece of furniture.  It looks like a little cabinet to hold records the top fits oddly and someone somewhat pieced it together.  I think it is cute.

It is definitely going white. I sanded off the really dark almost black stain.  It looks like dark walnut almost but it has more grain than that.  The top is a little oversized.   I only paid $10 for it.

Here are some of the pictures.


Sorry this is sideways.  I really really like this one....I might bring it back home. 


Pictures were buy 1 get 1 free!  So I got both plus these frames and 11 punch dessert cups for $20.  I love these oval frames.  You don't see oval ones very often and I am envisioning burlaps, monograms, and birds maybe.   The cups are mine.  I have these little dessert plates that are glass with a wheat design and I found this fairly plain but but they have an interesting shape.  You cannot tell from the picture but it is like 3 tiers. 

Next I found this plywood shelf. I liked the shape but it was raw with little sanding. 


It is about 5 foot tall. It might work on a small end table with the right shape to give it a bit more height.  It is about 5 feet tall.  I started sanding and put the first coat of the picket fence (white) and am thinking I will glaze but I also think it needs something unique.  Any ideas?

Here are some other shots.


First coat of paint.  What can I do to it?  It was only $10.00 and if nothing else it will work great in my booth.  Oh and I forgot to show you the little kids picnic table I picked up last week. 


It is so sweet.  The cats are enjoying it.

Finally I picked up a beautiful blue quart mason jar, a few little silver plate silverware, and another piece of milk glass. 





So that is all my finds and tomorrow I am working on the two pices I need to finish painting.

For the scalloped shelf I need your suggestions.  I was thinking I might paint a dark brown on the edge by hand with a soft dry brush to give it a bit more definition. 

I hope you enjoyed...where have you all been lately?

Benita

I will be sharing at:

6 comments:

  1. Looks like you scored big over the weekend. Doesn't that make you smile to find so many treasures to work on. Now comes the fun part ~ transforming them. Newest follower.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, you did find some awesome things! I am on the lookout for metal chairs like you got and I love that mod plywood shelf. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your corner shelf- give it a nice double glaze coat and it will look great! You found some nice things to re-finish. :-) Am visiting from Rhoda's.
    ~ Sue

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a great looking shelf! THanks for joining my newbie party. Have fun:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cool finds. I love the metal motel chair. Looks like you had a good weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a delightful blog! Soooo happy to have found you. I'm here from Debbie's Newbie party to welcome you and I'm your newest follower. Pop over for a visit sometime and have a blessed Easter.
    xoxo,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete