Monday, May 2, 2011

Come See My Thrifty Finds and Help Me Solve A Problem!

First I want to thank all my newest followers for joining up!  I love to hear from you all and to see your ideas.

The urn was $.89 at Goodwill!  The shelf brackets and number hooks were also each $.89 cents each.  The number hooks have screws on the back and I can take off the hooks.  They are metal.  I have to figure out what I can use them for.  The bad news is the urn chipped a little....I may put flowers in it and give it to my mom.  She uses this color in her room.  I don't think you can tell but it is a light green.


This was $2.50 at a church yard sale but it was half price because they were closing down.  I also got these great black and white photos with mattes.  They will fit an 18 x 24 inch frame.  I want to find some old ones. 



They are old architectural photos of screen doors and garden gates in St. Augustine, Florida.  These were marked $5.00 again 1/2 price.


$1.99

Pfaltzgraff!


I love this candleholder. I has lots of dripped wax!  $2.99

I love this little delft blue bowl.  Was it worth .89 cents?


It says porcelain. 7 cups, 7 saucers, creamer and sugar......$2.00.

$8.99 for a wrought iron chair.  It just needs a little wire brush and some spray paint.

And finally the piece de resistance........$15.00 check of drawers.......


Now as you can see the veneer has to go.  Sorry it was still in the bed of the truck. 

Look....it had all the original hardware!


Here is what I have done thus far.



You see my problem!


I could put a basket in place of the drawer but I think it might be difficult to find one  this size.  What do you think?  I need to get it ready for a sale this weekend. 





It has beautiful bones so I hate to put pages on all the drawers but will it look weird having just one drawer with book pages? 
You will be seeeing the makeover by the end of the week but I need your help! I am open to your ideas so be sure to comment! The veneer came off of two drawers but I cannot get it off the third drawer which goes in the middle.  I have seen people use sheet music or old book pages.  Would it look right to just have the one drawer with pages mod podged?  Please send me your ideas. 


Benita

I am sharing over at:

Thrifty Nifty Tuesday at Coastal Charm
Masterpiece Monday at Boogie Board Cottage
Motivate Me Monday at Keeping it Simple
Metamorphasis Monday at Between Naps on the Porch
White Wednesday at Faded Charm
Share the Love Wednesday at Very Merry Vintage
Tranformations and Treasures at Pink Postcard
Piece of Work Wednesday at Primitive and Proper
Swing into Spring at DIY by Design
Wow us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Time Travel Thursday at Brambleberry Cottage
Treasure Hunt Thursday at Blue Creek
Open House Party at No Minimalist Here
Transformation Thursday @Shabby Chic Cottage
Home Sweet Home @ The Charm of Home

12 comments:

  1. Great finds, Benita! Love the dresser! I rescued a dresser from the roadside that was missing two drawers and I plan to use baskets as well. I plan on using rectangular shaped baskets and can probably get two in per slot. I think that would work for yours, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great finds. Love love love the dresser

    ReplyDelete
  3. You may want to change the heading color of your posts. It's almost too dark to see on the black background. or change the background to grey or blue. Just a suggestion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Is it the veneer that is Not coming off the middle drawer the Problem? you could try using the heat of an iron to loosen the veneer... (if you have a crafting old iron) I have done that before & it worked, that & a putty knife.... Fabulous Dresser & Other Treasures~

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love all of the treasures you've found! I can't wait to see what you do with the dresser. Thank you for sharing this on Masterpiece Monday. Have a great week, Mary :O)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a bargain shopper for sure! What great finds! I am loving the dresser, but I feel your pain with the stubborn veneer. I have 2 pieces of furniture in my garage half-stripped that I've pretty much given up on. Personally, I wouldn't modge podge book pages on one drawer alone. And I would hate to see you throw out the drawer. Have you tried an electric sander? If I were you, I would do the best I could with the drawer front, paint it, distress it and call it good. Just my opinion...
    Best Wishes and Blessings,
    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a lot of great bargains! I love your new china!! Very pretty!

    The dresser is a fabulous find. I think if you look long enough, you will find baskets that fit...try Michaels, they have so many different sizes. I really love the hardware on this, too. Good luck!

    XO,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  8. i think i would paint the interior to match and use 2 narrower baskets side by side. or give it a very sturdy wood shelf and use as a little bookshelf/display area.

    ReplyDelete
  9. That china is to die for - Im a bit of a vintage china nut and its just perfect. As far as your dresser goes - I have a few "outside of the box" ideas: Get 2 smaller tension rods at the hardware/curtain store. Make a quick and simple hem in top and bottom of your fabric or sheer panel of choice (cut ti fit the open drawer space of course. and Viola!! Maybe some French Parchment fabric or just burlap - whatever is in now - fabric cures a multitude of sins. If that is not your bag - simply lay a piece of plywood on the runners inside and stack books in there. Don't try to make another drawer - too difficult. Have fun.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What great finds!!! I can't wait to see what you do. Your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow--you got some amazing things at fabulous prices! Love the black candle holder and that sweet dresser! Thanks for linking to my Share the Love link party!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  12. You found some great finds. Love the little sugar and creamer. I also love the dresser. It will look lovely redone. Thanks for linking this up!
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete