Friday, July 22, 2011

Almost done!

I hoped to have this finished today but aging the hardware is taking longer than I expected.  Remember (if you don't remember check out my blog) the Craigslist Hoosier cabinet I found a couple weeks ago?  I found a base for it.  It is a small dresser.  It was in bad shape.  I think they call this style of dresser an Eastlake.  I think originally it had a marble top but it was long gone.  It has been sitting at the Restore for a couple of years and they had $200 on it.  I would not touch it for that because like I said it had problems.  I went by the Restore Tuesday and they had marked it down to $50 and they have these new tags that they put a second price that it will go down to in 30 days.  I buy a lot of stuff there so I asked if I could get it for the lower price and they agreed!  I also picked up a five panel door but you will have to see it later.

Here it is...

Almost forgot the before!  Here are the drawer fronts.

I has nice details! Look at the  hardware.

These were black with dirt before I cleaned them.  It had 5 of the pulls.  2 are missing and one was broken so for the top small drawers I am thinking small glass knobs.  I bought some at Target but they had silver on them and won't work.


I already had an enamel table top I bought a couple years ago for $20.00.  I painted the chest of drawers white along with the hoosier top.  I wanted to leave the top natural but it had several types of wood so it looks better painted.

The tambour door is missing so I mod podged some pages from a 1959 encyclopedia.  I have to clean up the glass and have one piece cut.  I had the piece when I got it but it was cracked and I know where I can get some.  It looks like mica glass to me. 

I am aging the shiney new brass hinges I had to buy offline.  I will post a tutorial for that soon.  Here are some pics of the process.



Yummy....looks like old...well you know.  It is salt water that you dip the hardware in to age it.

Blow dryer to heat up the ammonia.

I also happened to find a flour sifter for the hoosier for $25.00.  Hopefully I can finish it tomorrow.  Let me know what you think.

Benita

I am sharing at:

Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed
Saturday Night Special @ Funky Junk Interiors
Show and Tell Friday @ My Romantic Home
Feathered Nest Friday @ French Country Home
Frugal Friday @ the Shabby Nest
Inspiration Friday @ At the Picket Fence
Vintage Inspiration Friday @ Common Ground
Paint Please @ Modern Country Style

6 comments:

  1. Nice work, I love Hoosier Cabinets! I'm a new follower :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see the finished product!

    (new follower here!)

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. . . two great finds that go together. Nice work.

    I am popping over from Sarah's great paint party. (Link #34)

    Fondly,
    Glenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. No doubt a lot of work, but it sure is looking great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I reckon it just needs a bit of love and will look awesome! What amazing hardware! You lucky thing!!

    Thank you so much for linking up to my 'Paint, Please' link party.

    Sarahx

    ReplyDelete