Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Craigslist Jackpot!

I found a post on Craigslist this week one for tons of terra cotta pots and one for an old trunk for $5.00.  I emailed them and realized it was the same person.  Now I was a bit hesitant about going out to the opposite part of town and meet a man I did  not know but junker side said but he might have more than just what he is advertising.  And boy did he!

As I drove up this long dirt driveway into a spooky wooded area I was thinking I am going to be buried out here and no one will ever find me!  The guy was a very nice man.  He was cleaning out his mother's house who had died recently.  She was a horder.....his words not mine and he had been working since February cleaning out the the house which he described as having a little path through it.  He had cut back the underbrush and cleaned out the barn and taken it down. 

He had 3 trunks. All different styles the one for $5 he had said in the email I could have it because I had driven so far.  He said I could have all 3 for $20.  I don't know much about trunks but they were all lovely but needed some work.  The yard was filled with bricks he had taken up which had been edging and pathways.  Someone had been out and taken the terra cotta pots but there were a few odd ones scattered about.  Then I spotted this old wrought iron garden furniture which he said I could have for $20.00.  Don't have a heart attack when you see it.

Did I pay too much?  I am giving this to my Mom.

Next we went inside there was an antique halltree, a secretary, 3 oak dressers, oak bow front china cabinet, oak buffet, 1960s pecan oval dining table and chairs and china cabinet.  An old hoosier was in another room, a wrought iron bistro set and a couple of other chairs, mcCoy pottery, china, depression glass and oak secretary ....large....never see one like it before.  Numerous little interesting tables, an old Singer sewing machine cabinet with wrought iron base and oak drawers hat were painted white.  I mean there was almost too much to see.  Old bottles, copper tub, old clocks, drafting tables, nautical pieces. 

Here is the bistro set and 2 additional iron chairs I purchased for $20.00.   The baby kitty wanted to be in the picture too!  The chair feet are perfect and not rusted.  A little spray paint on the rust and rust neutralizer and these will be perfect.  The odd chairs just need a piece of wood cut and seat covers made.  I will probably sell those.

I also found this.....$6.00. 

The gentleman gave me this cute little shelf. 

Sorry. I took it sideways. 

I went back the second day and purchased the wrought iron,  more than 100 old bricks, one of the trunks ( I only had room for one), a McCoy bowl ( no chips just crackling on the inside and some rust), one stand for a birdcage,  and 2 old concrete planters.

It even has the little hook.

2 of these!

Look at the hinges.  It was down to the bare wood and had lots of  rust.  The rust had worn through some of the metal.  I sanded it down as much as I could.  I could not find an attachment for the drill to get in the small spots.  I just painted it all white. I did not seal the metal and the rust is coming through the metal  a little.  I am thinking if can sand it a little by hand and then either put a polyeurathane or a clear coat that will stop the rust.  If you know any tips on this please let me know. Last but not the least


This lovely McCoy bowl.  Found it online valued at $85.00!





I have a feeling I will be going back to this man again!

Benita
I will be sharing this a

White Wednesday @ Faded Charm
Under $100 party @ Beyond the Picket Fence
Transformations & Treasures @ Pink Postcard
Piece of Work Wednesday Linky Party & Primative and Proper
Share the Love Wednesday @ Very Merry Vintage
Sizzle into Summer party @ DIY by Design
Wow us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Open House Party @ No Minimalist Here

3 comments:

  1. Great finds girl. I love finding old stuff like thAT, BYE SURPRISE it usually is the best

    i like the old McCoy flower pot

    jackpot indeed is correct

    Janice

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Benita, You found some great things! The iron garden furniture is wonderful and the demijohn for $6.00..wow! Thanks for joining my Open House party.
    xo,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete