Thursday, September 1, 2011

The cabinet evolution!

I have these two old small doors that my grandmother gave me a few years ago.  They are closet doors and as long as I can remember they were laying up in the rafters in my grandmother's carport along with a couple of other pieces of wood.  I have used them around the house propping them against the wall. I made the mistake of painting them black and then red on one side but the other side was still the chippy white.  The picture below shows the doors on the left with the birdcage wreath on them. 



A few weeks ago after months of looking I found an old 5 panel door.


I love these and as you all know you can make headboards and so many things with them.  I had an inspiration the other day to make it into a cabinet.  Now I don't use skills saws.  I am afraid of them and they are loud.  I decided to put them together using L brackets.  The closet doors are 18 inches wide and the other door was 32 inches wide. The closet doors were slightly longer so I evened them up at the top.  After putting the doors together with the brackets I measured to see what size shelves I needed and purchased wood at Lowe's so they could but it for me. 


I then painted them with some creamy white paint I had on hand.  Now I have to admit the thing is not totally square so the shelves don't fit perfectly toward the back but you cannot see that when loaded up with goodies.  I had the shelves but decided not to put a shelf at the bottom so I could fit an old crate and my large Pottery Barn basket there.  I had to get a piece for the top.  Then I remembered I had some old wood from trim and door frames that I have had for a year trying to figure out what to do with it. 

So I decided I could use it to trim out the cabinet. I had given my friend's son a skill saw when he worked for me last year and I asked him to cut the wood for me but he has a new job working in attics and on roofs putting in solar panels and the heat is whipping his butt! So he said I could have the saw and he would bring it by to me.  So I measured and cut it.  I am so proud of myself.  I still have to finish painting the trim piece out ..I ran out of paint and I have decided if I am going to trim out the shelves or not. I really like it the way it looks now.  I have loaded it up with my new watering cans and blue glass and natural items and I think it looks awesome.  What do you think?  Please stop by and leave me comments. I love to read them!

Sorry I got so carried away with making it I did not taking pictures while making it.  Here is the almost final product. 



Benita

I am sharing this at:

Under $100 Linky Party @ Beyond the Picket Fence
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm
Share the Love Wednesday @ Very Merry Vintage
Transformations and Treasures @ Pink Postcard
Piece of Work Wednesday @ Primitive and Proper
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Time Travel Thursday @ Brambleberry Cottage
Furniture Feature Friday @ Miss Mustard Seed






4 comments:

  1. awesome! i love a great repurpose, and this is so charming and useful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is pretty cool Great job I also love your B picture Did you make that as well?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! Love the chippy finish! thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday--hope you'll be back this week!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Benita you always surprise me with your attention to detail and your ability to make things more beautiful artistically.

    -zane

    ReplyDelete