Sunday, October 2, 2011

Rusty Old Finds

Hi! Sorry things have been crazy with my work. I went to a great sale this weekend. It was an old tin building near a marina area. I think they must have built boats there at some point. I picked up lots of thrifty finds. First these chippy white brackets which the man told me were off his house.
I think I can make shelves out of some using them for the brackets. I could also put two together and they look almost like angel wings. Next I found all these rusty items. Check out the old garden tools.
I also got a pair of old hedge clippers, brass numbers, an old level, some other kind of garden tool, and an old rusty wrench.
This little broken down table I am going to remove the legs and take it all apart and make some decorative wall art. Look at the metal on the legs. I don't think I have ever seen a table like this before.
The top of the table I started sanding down and it has these great scallops. It is split bt I am going to use a small piece of wood on the back to connect it and then perhaps modpodge some sheet music or artwork on it. Do you all ave any ideas?
This little white shelf is cute! I may use encyclopedia pages to line it. The cat has been added since the purchase!
Look at the patina on this pipe. It was a roof vent pipe I guess. I pulled off the old roof shingles on the bottom and the copper is the bright original color.
This is an old storage box/bench but it would take up my entire porch so I turned it this way and it looks like a garden storage cabinet. It is all tongue and groove but was very loose. It had all nails in it so I put some screws in it and tightened it up and some new hinges on it.. The old ones are rusted and won't move. I left them on there though. Next I found this old coffee table base which is mahogony. I am going to break off the legs for architectural pieces and I wanted to use the center for something decorative but I need to cut part off because there are holes where the legs came off. My son says he doesn't think I can cut it with a skil saw. I am going to have to think about this one.
I think this old chair back will be a great decorative piece. I could add some embellishment on it. Any ideas? Finally was this chair. You cannot believe how solid and heavy it is. I don't know if you can tell but it has like a green stain. You could still see the wood color and gain so the color is light. I have some cushions that will fit it but I would need to slip cover them. I am thinking I will sell this but I don't want to invest too much in it as I don't know what I can get out of it. My friend and I are talking about having another yard sale this week. All those items I picked up for $40. Oh yeah and a little glass dome that covered an industrial light and a couple of huge industrial light bulbs. They were way cool. I forgot to take pictures of those. I also picked up a Boyd's Bear, a couple of baskets, and this cool bird feeder. I loved it because it had the real tin roof!
I also did a little dumpster diving this weekend. i was driving through one of my favorite neighborhoods looking for a yard sale and I spotted an old house with a dumpster out front and a truck from a local thrift store. I went to the door and there were couple of ladies cleanin and I asked if I could look in the dumpster and they said fine but the lady was 90 years old who died recently and she had cats and mice and so most everythin was covered in cat urine. Yuk. I found this cute oriental shelf and a table base. I can smell the urine on the table base but once I prime and paint it it should be fine.
I picked up this chicken carrier. Perfect for making a coffee table just add casters and a piece of glass on top for $20.
I found these on the curb. I almost didn't stop. They are perfect for a little chair garden. I just need to add a bit of chicken wire. Wow it was a good week! Benita I am sharing this at: Newbie Party @ Debbiedoo's Blogging and Blabbing asterpiece Monday @ Boogie Board Cottage Creative Blogger @ Homemaker On A Dime Motivate Me Monday @ Keeping it Simple Metamorphasis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch Thrifty Nifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm Share the Love Party @ Very Merry Vintage

8 comments:

  1. I want to go where you go. You find the coolest stuff. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You discovered some fabulous old treasures. I love the way you see the beauty in these old pieces. Well, I'm on a chalkboard kick lately, so I might be using some on that old chair back. Your kitty looks to comfortable on the shelf. Thanks for sharing and for visiting with me:-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, a blogger I can relate to. That pipe/vent is something I would bring home it's so cool. As for your other finds love them all. I am always looking for the over looked (the not perfect). Your new follower.
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the little red house! Can't wait to see what it looks like when you are done!

    Hop'n by from 'Creative Bloggers Party & Hop'. I'm following your blog now, wont you please come and follow me back?? ~KM

    Krafty Max Originals

    ReplyDelete
  5. i definitely think those will make great shelf brackets!

    ReplyDelete