Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Window Makeover!

Hi everyone!

I wanted to share this project I just completed that turned out so awesome. Do you remember this old doors I purchased months ago at the Habitat Restore? 



They almost looked like doors and I think I paid like $5 each for them. This shows the wood side and the other side was the part that was outside and is painted.

I was inspired some months back by a couple of blogs Remodelaholic , Domestically Speaking, and The DIY Showoff .  They had great posts on how to turn simple glass objects into mercury glass or antique looking mirrors.  In preparing for my Christmas party on Thursday I have been busy decorating and I finally decided it would work on these windows.  I placed these on a wall where I was using lots of sparkle, mirrors, mercury glass materials. 



I simply followed their directions putting light layers of the looking glass paint on.  The next day I mixed the 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water mixture and put into a spray bottle. I laid the windows flat so I did not get any runs and sprayed lightly and let it sit a couple of minutes. I then dabbed with damp paper towel.  The more you dab the more you take off.  And here is the result.

Sorry these pictures are not great.  See my new basket I picked up for $2.00?

I hope you enjoyed your visit.

Benita

I will be sharing this at:

Twelve Days of Projects Blog party @ The DIY Showoff
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm
Share the Love Wednesday @ Very Merry Vintage
Transformation and Treasures @ Pink Postcard
Piece of Work Wednesday @ Primitive and Proper
Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Time Travel Thursday @ Brambleberry Cottage



5 comments:

  1. they look fabulous!!!! and i love your tv stand!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool project! I hadn't thought of doing that, and will have to try that project! They turned out loverly ;)
    You're cordially invited to enter my giveaway as well, there will be three winners, hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Looking Glass paint and that's such a great idea for those doors! Great job! Thanks so much for sharing in the glass/mirror party! :)

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete
  4. Benita - I'm not sure if you noticed but wanted to tell you that you're in the Top 12 in the 12 Days party at thediyclub.com (#1 from the Mirror/Clear party at the DIY Show Off). Hurray! Thanks so much for sharing your creativity!

    Roeshel

    ReplyDelete