Monday, January 16, 2012

RCA Stereo Cabinet Re-do



Here is my newest find! It is laying in the back of my truck which explains the odd angle.  

It is an old Victrola cabinet.  This is on the inside of the door and then inside the cabinet is this label.
I looked up this model and it seems to be a 1953 model.   I love the old label.

I finally tried using chalk paint and made my own using a recipe I found.  Two parts of paint and one part plaster of paris. I found a quart of oops paint which is a cream color.   I spray painted the inside of the cabinet white to clean it up a bit.

The chalkpaint was very thick and lumpy but as I painted it on the lumps smoothed out. I then sanded and roughed up the edges. I sanded the paint off  a little in a few spots.

And here it is.....


I am thinking I might get a gold glaze just to give it a little sparkle. I bought these handles but I don't think they are gonna work. They were on sale at Hobby Lobby for 50% off so they were only $2 each.  Well scratch that ....those did not work so I am at a standstill in terms of finding hardware.  I don't know of a good place around here to find hardware.

I think perhaps some old brass looking knobs...antique brass. There are no good sources around here for hardware unfortunately. 

I think the possibilities for this cabinet are infinite. It could be used in  an entry way and filled with baskets to keep keys, gloves, and such organized. It could be used as a server or buffet in a small dining room with storage for dishes and silverware inside or in an office with space to organize office supplies.
Things are going to be crazy the next couple weeks. I am helping a friend with an estate sale on the 26th, 27th, and 28th and preparation for it starting this week so you might not see too much of me. Don't worry I will back soon.

I went to an estate sale this weekend and it was for a lady who is now in a nursing home.  She was a bit of a hoarder and an artist.  There were ton of art, frames, book, silver platters and other goodies.  My next post will show you my goodies that will probably fill my booth with.  I also bought out the sale at the end  all the books which I could not even take them all.  I ended up with over 300 books that I will sale possibly at the estate sale.  I got them all for $10!  I hope to be able to make  a good profit.

Benita

I am sharing this at:

Nifty Thrifty Tuesday @ Coastal Charm
Masterpiece Monday @ Boogie Board Cottage
Metamorphasis Monday @ Between Naps on the Porch
Tuesdays Treasure @ My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia



No comments:

Post a Comment