Tuesday, February 21, 2012

New Collection

I love souvenir items.  You know what I am talking about right? Vintage and antique ones that have a unique look to the periods they were made in.   I live in Florida so I have a few little antique or vintage Florida Souvenirs.

I love the blues in these and there usually pink because you cannot have Florida without Flamingos.



 Now these I have loved long before I moved to Florida.  In my maternal Grandfather's parents home they had several Florida souvenir items because my Great Uncle WM lived much of his adult life in Miami and so he often traveled home and brought these.  He and my Grandfather first worked in Florida building military bases after WWII. They operated backhoes, bulldozers and those sorts of equipment.  So many of these type souvenirs I believe to range from the 1940s to the 1950s. This one is very similar to one that my Great Grandmother had.



This is from Silver Springs.  I don't think you can quite read the sticker on it.

It is a candle holder.


 I purchased all these framed souvenir textiles.  Not sure what else to call them!  They aren't big enough for a table cloth. I love them and they are in good metal frames but unfortuntately  the frames are green. Yuk....I like neutral frames.  Black, gold, silver or white.


These are all green and red.  I love red but I don't decorate with it any more so I will probably sell these.  The next one I want to keep but reframe or paint the frame.


Again it has the great blue color. 


 I also remember little souvenir items from Washington and up North also because my other Great Uncle Bobby lived in Maryland so I imagine some of these were ones he brought home.   I found several recently and had it on my large white cabinet but I wanted to better display them.  I have a brass Eiffel Tower that was a Christmas ornament and a Restoration Hardware ornament that is the Roman Coliseum which I visited in 2009.  I also found 3 another Eiffel Tower, a Statute of Liberty and a Notre Dame Cathedral Some a plastic but most are metal and one or two are pencil sharpeners.  I found the White House one at an antique store. I also have a little bronze Roman helmet that I purchased in Rome.   I had this little vintage box/shelf but it was dark so I decided to paint it white. 


It is a little plain.  I am thinking I might try book pages on it. What do you think?

I hope that when my oldest son moves out. I can make over that room using the souvenirs and globe and a framed map. 




Thanks for stopping by.

Benita

I will be sharing this at:
White Wednesday @ Faded Charm
Share the Love Wednesday @ Very Merry Vintage
 Wow Us Wednesday @ Savvy Southern Style
Time Travel Thursday @ Brambleberry Cottage
Open House Party  @ No Minimalist Here
Home Sweet Home @ Charm of Home
Transformation Thursday @ the Shabby Chic Cottage





4 comments:

  1. Great vintage souvenirs, Benita. You've definitely got a "traveler" theme going on there. And, yes, I think book pages would look terrific on the back of your shelf. ;)

    Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday again this week.

    Blessings,
    Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so nice to display these souvenirs. You have given me the incentive to pull out my travel souvenirs - I will definitely enjoy the memories they bring up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. like your collections especially the shells and florida finds. elizabeth
    hope you can make time and check out our site
    thegreeleygirlsc.om

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your little vignettes look great! Thanks for linking up to Share the Love Wednesday--hope you'll be back this week!
    Mary @ Very Merry Vintage Style

    ReplyDelete